Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Around Lincoln's Inn





Just because I had a request for it.... here are some initial images from around Lincoln's Inn, near High Holborn. More to come soon... It's a really beautiful part of London with some scenic old buildings (many now converted into law offices and the like) but what got me this time was the great big park in the middle of it. It was here that I settled myself down and sketched what caught my eye: a man watching pigeons wistfully, a row of jolly London taxicabs, and this one man sitting with his friend looking pretty sad. He was telling her something and she was just patiently listening, not really bothered or worried... just listening. This time around I really felt like being loose and dirty - lots of textures, lots of crumbling ink lines against the rough paper. As for the image of the rooftops, it just seemed like a poetic subject to me - silent watchers of the human drama from high above it all... I love the rooftops in London because they give great opportunities to indulge my love of abstract shapes and textures (this drawing is essentially just a series of rectangles set off against each other with different textures and shading). The cathedral dome in the background hopefully lends an air of old world dignity to the rather working-class subject matter...

2 comments:

Desi Lawyer said...

Thank you so much Tom! It's a great trip down memory lane! and to see London, and especially Lincoln's Inn through your eyes is a mind blowing experience. I'm feeling very nostalgic! I look forward to see more of your sketches!

Tom said...

You're welcome.. I'm really happy you like the new drawings :) By the way have you seen my Flickr page? I try to update both the blog and Flickr regularly with new stuff so you might like to take a look! All the best - Tom.