Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Twitter Sketches, Sketch Time, and my Burgeoning Twitter Sketchbook...




In recent weeks, I've started using my Twitter account as my a personal digital sketchbook. What a great way to quickly spread the simple beauty of sketches in a way that echoes, in visual art, what Twitter itself does with words! Short and sweet... the sketch tweet! At the same time, I coincidentally stumbled upon SketchTime, an iPhone and iPad app by Hansol Huh. I had to get in touch with Hansol and thank him personally for finally creating an app that can keep up with how fast I draw, even on my iPhone 3GS! Since then, I've been posting sketches made on my iPhone using SketchTime directly to my Twitter account at the rate of about one a day... it's been great fun and I've met quite a few new people along the way! Personally, I can't tell you how happy I am that I can finally use my iPhone as a portable sketchbook, and tweet the results directly using iOS's native Twitter integration. Talk about not losing the moment! 

The potential is huge for sketchers using SketchTime. So far, I don't own an iPad so can't comment on the iPad version of SketchTime (however, today's rumoured iPad 3 announcement is less than half an hour away ... what a boon a retina display iPad with a suitably powerful processor would be to digital artists! Perhaps there's an iPad in my future yet ha ha :). I've also been updating my SketchZebra portrait site every Monday (as promised). This week's portrait is of a woman filmmaker I greatly admire, whose latest documentary won this year's Academy Award - check it out

And keep sketching :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I still can't believe you are sketching on an iPhone. I love your sketches. Please keep them coming. Sketchtime is amazing. I wrote to Hansol Huh also. Twitter makes the world a smaller place!
Best Wishes from Glen UK

Tom said...

Hi Glen - thanks for your comments! I do sketch on iPhone (I zoom in a lot :) I also use a Wacom Bamboo stylus (finger's too clumsy for details - can't see around it). Once you get used to the constraints it gets easier. I enjoy pushing the envelope given the constraints of the iPhone....